Sunday, June 11, 2017

Mothers Against Drunk Driving moving forward with mural plan to raise awareness

SAN ANTONIO – Over the last year, the San Antonio Police Department has responded to 553 DWI crashes.
Due to the high numbers, the group Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) wants to bring the numbers down to zero simply with a mural.
“It just takes literally a moment to change lives,” says Aziza Salama, a mother of two.
Salama says she will never forget the night she lost her fiance’ Johnny Hernandez in a wrong-way wreck.
The driver who hit them had been drinking.
“He would probably be very proud and very happy to try and move forward,” says Salama.
She's now a member of MADD.
The group is now designing a mural to be displayed of I-10 and Colorado to share the message.
“It creates a conversation people drive by that particular location and we want people to be aware on a daily basis,” adds Salama.
County Commissioner Kevin Wolff, Precinct 3, says he is favor of the efforts.
“It's another way to reach out and bring attention to a very difficult situation,” says Wolff.
Last July, Wolff was arrested for driving while intoxicated after hitting two cars in a fast food parking lot.
“That will resonate with me for the rest of my life. For me the biggest part is how much I feel I left my family down my wife, my daughter,” adds Wolff.
The commissioner says there is no excuse and there is help for everyone out there.
“There is no excuse today that you're not able to call a taxi, an Uber, a Lyft, a friend.”
Salama says it’s a fight to save others.
“Just because this horrible tragedy has happened to me doesn't necessarily mean that's it...that's the end of the day,” adds Salama.  Source: foxsanantonio.com


Location: United States

0 comments:

Post a Comment